Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Merry & Bright

I just had a fabulous weekend with family and friends. I hope you had the same!

My son and I were talking the other day and he mentioned to me that his friend at school said that Christmas is all about the presents. I "mmmm-hmmm'd" casually. "And what do you think Christmas is about, honey?" I asked. He got really quiet and pondered for a bit... which, I admit, made me a bit nervous. "Family," he said. "And giving... And love... And presents, too!" he smiled shyly.

It made me wonder. What do I think Christmas is all about? And what would I say if asked? Obviously, 'presents' wasn't the only right answer, as even my 6-year old knew... regardless of how true it seemed. So... family, friends and love? Well... yes... and... there is a story here that constitutes the actual reason for a Holiday. But what if, as is the case for me, you're not exactly sold on the baby in the manger story?

I question, with so many people celebrating Christmas... how many of these people actually believe in the birth of Christ? When does a story become irrelevant to the actual beliefs of those carrying out the ritual?

I guess the answer for me, at least at this point in my life, is found in symbolism. A child, a piece of God, born into the world to experience the journey. Seemingly good and bad events occur, but really it's all part of the master plan and in the end, the child reunites to become one, again, with the creator. I believe in my heart that this is true for all of us... a master plan from the start... a journey with events to help our souls grow, and in the end, a return to the source of all being.

So for this I celebrate. Every person coming into my life, from family and friends to casual contacts, a part of my soul journey. Each person a piece of God, reflecting back to each other the human condition. May you take time this holiday season, to acknowledge the suffering, appreciate the journey and revel in the glory.

As you move through the coming year, I invite you to consider your rituals. What are you celebrating? What does it mean to you? Part of living consciously means waking up. Not necessarily, or at least not always, changing... but being more aware of how and why.

This funny thing called life is packed with questions to be pondered... thanks for joining me on the discovery. Wishing you all a fabulous end-of-year and looking forward to an amazing 2012.  Love, Rashel

1 comment:

  1. YOU MAKE SOME VERY VALID POINTS THIS WEEK. OUR ENTIRE SOCIETY HAS BECOME SO COMMERCIALIZED IN REGARDS TO ALL HOLIDAYS AND EVEN MINOR "EVENTS"...IT MANY TIMES DOES SEEM LIKE IT'S MORE ABOUT PRESENTS, FOOD & DRINKS, THAN THE MEANING OF THAT HOLIDAY, WHATEVER IT MAY BE. THANKS FOR REMINDING US TO ACTUALLY GIVE SOME THOUGHT TO WHY WE ARE "CELEBRATING"~~LOVE MAMA

    ReplyDelete